Found the perfect home, and now it is time to move. Check out my tips below that will help you with your exciting but dreadful move 🙂
- Declutter, Declutter, Declutter!!! Get rid of unwanted items as much as you can. As hard as it is sometimes to say “goodbye”, Consider having a garage sale or moving sale. This is will truly lighten your load. If everything doesn’t have to go, then don’t include “everything must go” in your advertisement. However, get rid of items, especially clothing that you haven’t worn in the past 6-12 months or longer (trust me, you will not miss them) and keep clothing and shoes that you wear frequently and other items that are important to you.
- Start with one room at a time. If you are moving from a smaller home to a larger one or vice versa, it is best to stay organized as much as possible and by starting with one room at a time will help with feeling overwhelmed. Find the appropriate boxes and pack away all items that you will not need right away. For example, start with your books or pack away your kitchen appliances that you do not use on a daily basis.
- In addition to labeling your boxes, be sure to include what room they’ll be going in. This process will help out TREMENDOUSLY! You will save yourself time and a headache by neatly labeling your boxes so you can easily place them right where they belong. If you hire a moving company or a couple of buddies to help with your move, they will be able to speed up the process by knowing exactly where to place your items without stopping to ask each time. So label, label, label.
- Cut down on boxes by using suitcases, laundry baskets, etc for packing. During my move, I packed all of my shoes that weren’t in original boxes in a small suitcase and all my purses in a large suitcase. Not only did I utilize those items which aren’t normally used, but they will also be easy to carry along. I also used a tall laundry basket to pack most of my sheets and throws.
- Store away your out of season clothes in a large plastic bin or a vacuum seal bag. This will also help when it comes to packing your clothes. There are some items that you can just pack away and not worry about. For example, if you’re moving during the winter and if you’re like me, you still have your maxi dresses and sandals all throughout your closet, well pack them away so during the move you can toss them in the garage to be put away for later. At least that’s what I would do.
- Make sure all of your things are packed, labeled, organized and ready to go. There is nothing like taking time out of your precious day to help someone move and they are not prepared. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to pack to limit stress. Moving has its own kind of stress but eliminating as much stress as possible will help out a lot.
I hope these tips will help you during your exciting move. Whether it is wanted or unwanted, being prepared as much as possible will always help.
Thanks for taking the time to read this post! Like and Share!