If you are new to your real estate career or if you’ve been in the real estate industry for awhile now, I’m sure you’ve heard all about “Door Knocking”. Door knocking is a great way to generate real estate business but let’s be honest, it is not for everyone. I’ve tried door knocking and yes, I did get a listing and although I was excited about the listing- which ended up not selling because the seller wouldn’t lower the price but I digress, I still wasn’t super motivated or committed to continue on with it. Instead, I found other ways to generate more real estate business without putting myself through the torture.
Here are 5 things that I am currently doing that actually generates leads for me either for free or at a small cost.
- Open Houses: Open houses are a great way to jump in the business, meet buyers and to familiarize yourself with the neighborhoods. Not all open house guest will be ready to sign a contract or an agency agreement with you and will most likely have a realtor but it is still a great way to meet people, get out of your shell if you’re in one and answer those on the spot questions about the home. You can ask agents at your office who have listings if you can hold an open house for them. All you need to get started is a sign in sheet, some snacks, and a few balloons on your open house sign and you’re good to go.
- Being A Sitter For a Builder: When I first started my real estate career, I took an opportunity to cover for a builders agent one day a week. This allowed that agent a day off and in return, an opportunity for me to cover the model home during the business hours for that day and capture any buyers or sellers that came in. I ended up selling 4 new construction homes in that neighborhood and picked up buyers that decided to buy in other areas and a listing within my first 3-4 months of sitting and being in real estate all together. Research the builders in your area, visit those communities and introduce yourself to the onsite agents in those areas. Let them know the days and times you’re available to cover the model home for them and ask them to train you on the information.
- SOI (Sphere of Influence): Your Sphere is the circle of people you know. Your family, friends, neighborhoods, doctor or dentist, etc. Those individuals also have their own sphere so when you make it clear and known to them that you are a real estate agent and stress to them that you are looking to help buyers and sellers, they will recommend and refer people to you but this can only happen if you LET THEM KNOW. We can’t assume that they must know because you’re friends on social media. You must tell them personally.
- Social Events: Attending Galas, business networking events, etc are also great ways to generate business without door knocking. Keep business cards in your back pocket or in your purse. Find a way to bring up real estate and make sure they know you are a real estate agent. Give them your card to keep and a card to share with family and friends. Connect with those individuals on social media so they can continue to see your real estate post. If they are an entrepreneur as well, be sure to support them and their business if you can.
- Social Media: Another great tool for me is social media. I have generated and closed many clients that have found me on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc). Social media is a great way to connect with buyers and sellers for FREE. When I’m hosting an open house, I use Facebook ads at a small cost to advertise my open house to the thousands of individuals on FB and Instagram.
As I mentioned previously, I currently use all 5 of these tips. I wouldn’t have shared them if they didn’t work. More importantly, do what works for you. Not all 5 of these ideas will work for you and that’s okay. However, you must be consistent and persistent for anything to work.
If you have any questions or concerns or want me to cover a particular topic, please do not hesitate to contact me.